<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
  • Tue, September 29, 2015 9:15 AM | Trevor (Administrator)

    The feds have arrested a reputed Crips gang leader for murdering a rival in a Brooklyn hookah bar last month — a cold-blooded killing that may have triggered a shootout 10 days later that mortally wounded an aide to Gov. Cuomo, the Daily News has learned.

    Larry Pagett, a longtime leader of the Eight Trey Crips, allegedly gunned down Chrispine Philip, a reputed member of the Folk Nation gang, inside the Buda Hookah Bar on Aug. 28, finishing him off with a bullet fired into his brain, according to court papers filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

    Pagett, 35, then allegedly shot his way out of the Flatbush Ave. lounge bar, hitting numerous people in his path.

    “(Pagett) brazenly opened fire in a crowded bar, killing his intended target and wounding five others,” stated Assistant Brooklyn U.S. Attorney Elizabeth Geddes.

    “In doing so, Pagett displayed a complete and utter disregard for human life and the consequences of his actions.”

    Detectives are investigating whether Philip’s murder fueled a wild gun battle between Folk Nation and Eight Trey Crips gang members outside the Ebbets Field Apartments on Sept. 7, sources told The News.

  • Sun, September 27, 2015 12:17 PM | Trevor (Administrator)

    Just over a week ago, Duprey said corrections officers had to break up one of the largest fights, involving over 60 inmates, with tear gas.

    "The corrections officers took the appropriate action to stop the fight before anybody was seriously hurt," Duprey said.

    The assemblywoman said the fights aren't just happening at Clinton Correctional Facility; they're happening at prisons all across New York state.

    "Maximum security facilities are very difficult places. There are bad people in there as inmates. They have committed very serious crimes or they wouldn't be there," Duprey said.

    When fights do break out, it's the corrections officers who are responsible for ending them.

    "My concern as somebody who represents all of [the corrections officers] is that when they intervene, and they have to... if we can't get this all under control the corrections officers will be hurt," Duprey said.

    Which is why she said she's focused on confronting the problem to ensure the safety of those who work and live behind prison walls.

    "My biggest priority is the safety and security of the people inside the walls. Certainly the corrections officers, the civilian staff, and the inmates. This is just not acceptable," Duprey said.

    WPTZ reached out to the New York Department of Corrections to ask about the fights at Clinton Correctional facility, but it did not return our request for comment.

  • Sun, September 27, 2015 12:16 PM | Trevor (Administrator)

    Gates, N.Y. - Gates Police say they have always taken a proactive approach to fighting gang activity. Police and town leaders, along with the FBI monitor 3,000 gang members. They know who they are, where they live, what they're doing and what crimes they commit.

    Though Town Supervisor Mark Assini said most live in the city, he said some do live in the suburbs and the crimes spill into towns in the community.

    Assini confirmed that 21-year-old Johnny Blackshell, Jr., who was charged in connection with the mass shooting on Genesee Street last month, was a known gang member police have been tracking.

    Blackshell lived on a quiet cul-de-sac in Chili. His arrest and ties to gang activity were a surprise to his neighbors, many of who told us they were afraid to talk on camera.

    Assini said people who don’t think there is a gang problem in Rochester and Monroe County need to acknowledge these gangs not only exist, but can be associated with violent crimes.

    He said Gates has a tough approach to get to the gang members before violence occurs.

    "The first step is to recognize we have a gang problem here...if you belong to a gang, we are going to make your life miserable. You're not going to terrorize suburban towns...we're coming after you," Assini said.

    Assini said he isn't afraid to acknowledge the presence of gangs because he said it's the only way to deal with it.

    While these gangs are sometimes referred to as "groups of youth," Assini said he tells it like it is.

    "Youth groups aren't people who take out AK-47's and mow down their neighbors...we have sent a strong message to these gangs: We will track you down, we know where you are and who you are, you're not going to get away with it."

    Gates Police Chief James VanBrederode said he has always taken a tough approach when it comes to gang activity. He was part of a task force on gang violence when he worked in the Rochester Police Department several years ago. He said gangs aren't anything new; they have just become more violent.

    He said his department has learned of planned concerts, gatherings and other events that were gang-related and shut them down before they could happen.

    He told 13WHAM News, “We have no tolerance for these gangs. The minute they come to Gates, we are all over it. It's something we've taken seriously for 25 years."

  • Sun, September 27, 2015 12:15 PM | Trevor (Administrator)

    SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- The federal government has awarded Syracuse a $300,000 grant to continue a program to combat gun and street gang violence.

    It's the second time in two years the city has received the grant from the federal Project Safe Neighborhoods program.

    The grant funds a coalition of law enforcement agencies and community groups to reduce gun and gang violence, U.S. Attorney Richard Hartunian said Tuesday.

    The grant will fund Syracuse Truce, a program that began in 2013 in which law enforcement and community service agencies work together to reduce tensions between police and the community in the hope of reducing gang violence.

    Under Truce, police zero in on a small group of gang members responsible for most of the violent crime. Police tell the gangsters there's help if they want it, but that if they commit more violence, law enforcement will target their entire gang.

    Through the city's gang violence task force, eight Syracuse street gangs have been prosecuted in federal court since 2003, Hartunian said.

    Syracuse also received a $1.5 million federal grant in 2013 to support a U.S. Department of Justice program to combat gang and gun violence.

    "There is no higher priority than combining resources to save the lives of our young people," Hartunian said in a news release.

  • Wed, May 20, 2015 7:24 AM | Trevor (Administrator)

    ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Two men were convicted of charges in the slaying of a 17-year-old Rochester boy in Monroe County Court.

    The jury found Vincent Bean, 20, guilty on charges of murder, manslaughter and gang assault. The same jury also found Ronald Nelson, 28, guilty of gang assault

    Prosecutors say the men approached Travone Teasley, 17, at the corner of Kirkland and Genesee Street June 20, 2014. They chased him, beat him and then Bean stabbed him to death.

    A third defendant, Deiondre Francis, was also involved and plead guilty.

    Bean faces 25 years to life when he is sentenced June 9, 2015. Nelson faces up to 25 years in prison when he is sentenced the following week.

  • Thu, May 07, 2015 3:44 AM | Trevor (Administrator)

    NEW YORK (AP) - Ten reputed members of the Bloods street gang have been indicted in a gunrunning ring that smuggled weapons to New York City for resale.

    Authorities unsealed the 367-count indictment Wednesday.

    They say the gang would use Metro-North to smuggle weapons into the city from Port Chester and Connecticut. The firearms ranged from .22 caliber pistols to assault weapons.

    The suspects face charges of conspiracy, criminal possession and criminal sale of firearms.

    One defendant was indicted separately on a murder conspiracy charge.

    The alleged ring leader used the nickname "Redrum" - murder spelling backward

    State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says the allegations lay out a disturbing but "all too familiar" pattern of gun trafficking and violence.

    Authorities say an undercover officer bought nearly 100 guns on 47 separate occasions from the suspects.

  • Wed, May 06, 2015 3:42 AM | Trevor (Administrator)

    Derrick Yancey, 27, of Buffalo, a member of the now-defunct 10th Street Gang, was ordered by U.S. District Judge Richard J. Arcara to serve a 168-month federal prison term for his conspiracy conviction under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

    Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph M. Tripi said that from 2005 through 2010 Yancey was an active member of the gang and on Sept. 15, 2008 he drove other gang members to Busti Avenue where they shot and killed Omar Fraticello-Lugo, an alleged member of the rival and now-defunct 7th Street Gang, and injured two other men. Yancey is the latest of 44 members of the 10th Street Gang or their associates charged and convicted.

  • Wed, May 06, 2015 3:41 AM | Trevor (Administrator)

    Three Buffalo women were arrested on felony gang assault charges late Tuesday and two other women were being sought by police in connection with the alleged attack on a 7th Street woman late Monday afternoon.

    Bridgett A. Salter, 33, of Pine Harbor Walk; Alexis Davis, 17, of 7th Street and Ayana Hardyh, 24, who refused to give police a local address, were all charged with second-degree gang assault for allegedly accosting the victim and hitting her while she was holding her 7-year-old daughter near her home.

    Police reported obtaining a video tape of the incident made with an apartment building surveillance camera system. Two other unidentified women still were being sought for allegedly taking part in the incident.

  • Wed, May 06, 2015 3:40 AM | Trevor (Administrator)

    WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. – Nine alleged members and associates of the violent Bloods street gang were indicted on charges of operating a high-volume gun trafficking ring, state Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman and New York City Police Commissioner William Bratton announced Wednesday .

    According to the 367-count felony indictment unsealed in Bronx Supreme Court, investigators seized 93 illegal guns.

    The weapons were allegedly purchased on New York City streets, but also in Port Chester, Maine and Connecticut for resale in New York City by ring members.

    Some of the guns bought in Port Chester and Stamford, Conn., were transported to the city on Metro-North trains and the weapons were resold in New York City for several times their original price, the attorney general's office said.

    Stamford Police arrested two of the men Tuesday after they were drawn into the investigation by New York City Police, New York State investigators and federal authorities last week, said Capt. Richard Conklin. He said Stamford police were told two of the suspects may have been spending time in the city.

    Brett "Agony" Irving-Carroll, 27, was arrested at his residence at 186 W. Main St., Apt. C., shortly before 6 a.m. Conklin said. He said police had been conducting surveillance on him and the residence. Stamford Police were joined New York City Police, New York Attorney General's office and Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms representatives at the arrest.

    Conklin said a Ruger semiautomatic pistol with a laser sight, ammunition for other weapons and 3.5 pounds of marijuana were found in the residence.

    Irving-Carroll was extradited to New York, but Conklin said Stamford Police will also prepare drug and weapon charges against him.

    Later, officers swooped in and arrested a second member of the Bloods, Cadeim Beckford, 20, of the Bronx, as he walked in the area of Pacific Street and Towne Street in Stamford around 1 p.m. Conklin said Stamford Police will not be pressing any charges against Beckford because he was simply arrested by city police on behalf of New York authorities.

    Conklin said Stamford Police are "very interested" in the men's presence in Stamford.

    "We are very interested that they are in our fair city," he said.

    As a result of the Operation Redrum investigation, based on the nickname of alleged ring leader William “Redrum” Soler, the gang members and associates were charged with felony conspiracy and criminal possession and criminal sale of firearms counts. Soler was also charged with second-degree conspiracy, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison, for allegedly plotting to kill a rival gang member.

    If convicted, the lead defendants, Soler, Ronald Snyder, Princesequan Hunter, and Cadeim Beckford, face up to 25 years in prison on the top count, first-degree criminal sale of a firearm.

    A 10th defendant, Erick Ransom, was separately indicted for the murder conspiracy. He also faces up to 25 years behind bars.

    The investigation, led by the Attorney General’s Organized Crime Task Force and the NYPD’s Firearms Investigation Unit, began last summer.

    According to the papers, after an undercover detective, posing as a gun reseller, purchased guns directly from Soler, electronic surveillance was used to monitor the ring’s activities.

    Firearms sales charged in the indictment range from .22 caliber pistols to assault weapons. Approximately 11 of the guns seized had the serial numbers filed off, making the weapons untraceable.

    The indictment charges the following defendants:

    • Devon “Burnz” Fairburn, 27, Brooklyn.
    • William “Wobbles” Soler, 33, the Bronx.
    • Ronald “Piff” Snyder, 25, Manhattan.
    • Princesequan “Saiko” Hunter, 29, the Bronx.
    • Cadeim “Deim” Beckford, 20, the Bronx.
    • Brett “Agony” Carroll, Stamford, Conn.
    • Jordan Romeo, 20, Binghamton.
    • Terrence “T-Bone” Gordon, 35, Rocky Point, N.Y.
    • Julio “Punn” Morales, 29, the Bronx.
    • Erick “Pilz” Ransom, 26, the Bronx.
  • Tue, May 05, 2015 3:39 AM | Trevor (Administrator)

    JACKSON HEIGHTS — Two gunmen shot and killed a man in what appears to be a gang-related attack, sparking investigators to shut down part of the neighborhood in a search for the suspects, officials said.

    The victim, identified as Jorge Manzanarez, 38, of Corona, was in front of 93-12 Roosevelt Ave., near Whitney Avenue, about 2:23 p.m., when he was shot in the torso, an NYPD spokesman said.

    He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital in critical condition, an FDNY spokesman said. He later died of his injuries, police said.

    In the wake of the shooting, police cordoned off Roosevelt Avenue between 93rd and 94th streets and Whitney Avenue from Aske Street to 40th Road to allow investigators to canvass the area.

    Police looked under cars and in backyards for the two suspects while a police helicopter circled overhead.

    Locals said the shooting and police response made them feel tense.

    Slideshow A man was shot on Roosevelt Avenue near Whitney Street, police said.

    Man Shot to Death in Jackson Heights Shooting, Police Say

    "Everybody who live here, is not safe," said Alfons Matta, 69, who has lived in the area for 10 years, "You have to protect yourself. Close door, go inside. A lot of gangs. You have to stay away."

    The investigation continued Wednesday, but an NYPD spokesman said it appeared to be a gang-related incident.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
© New York Gang Investigators Association 2015
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software